Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hmmm...


Artist Statement: Photo Project
                For my photo project I chose to go with an iconic style as well as artist. Andy Warhol has always been a bit of a fascination of mine. From his use of colors, to his unique choice of imagery he has long since made an impression on me. This is why Andy Warhol was the obvious choice. That and the fact that he is one of the only artists that I most accurately resemble, or at least can resemble with some minor tweaks, also helps his cause.
                I choose Andy Warhol’s self portrait ’67 carefully among the many choices that Andy Warhol created because of it’s sense of style. For one, Andy uses his hands to convey that he is pondering, maybe his next piece or maybe even what his next move is in his daily routine, either way it is a strong masculine pose where the face is framed with shadows. Also, color is used to make the most genuine aspects of a masculine face stand out, such as his jaw line and facial structure. Lastly, I am intrigued that only half of his face is shown, maybe signifying the dual nature within the artist at the time of creation.
                In recreating the photograph I knew right away that I would have to seek the aid of computer photo editing software in order to capture the pop art feel. For this I used Adobe Photoshop, which proved to be effective. I had to try to mimic Andy’s pose for many shots that I was then able to play around with inside the program. I started by creating a gradient within the image to show the light and dark side of the photo. I then used one of the filters to create more of a cut out feel and then added the yellow streaks to my hair and basically colored the photo as if it were a coloring book. All in all I think I my work to the best of my ability given the fact that we definitely have out dissimilarities.
                I enjoyed creating this project for it helped deepen my understanding of how to create art. I was able to use a program that I was unfamiliar with (Photoshop) to have an end product that I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment